Saturday, August 19, 2006

Good software review of PCLinuxOS 0.93a


Here is a good link to a review of the two latest versions of the PCLinuxOS. It's acurate and informative, with lots of good screen shots too:

PCLinuxOS 0.93a Junior and MiniMe - Two reviews for the price of one

Here is an excerpt:

...This has been a real pleasure, playing with Junior and MiniMe. I can honestly say that this distro hits the head on 95% of my key issues and doesn't take too much gray matter to overcome its shortcomings. But when you consider that the download for this is 2/3 for Junior (and 1/3 for MiniMe) of the size of any other major distro in similar form, this does wonders. I have no doubt that if you were to give this a whirl, you too would be set back and wonder why this hasn't risen the list at Distrowatch even more than it has. I wish a couple of things were different, and that they might look at XGL in their Live offering, but I understand their niche market probably is outside of that package. I am sure it is in the works, and when Tex anounces it is available I will be right there downloading and enjoying a solid distro with amazing performance and rock solid support.

My hat is off to you Tex and gang. Being a former resident of the great state of Texas (and married to a Texan), I will toss a "Damn Good Job Pardners" your way. This distro will be on my machine now as my primary Linux, which for me is the ultimate testimate to how much I like what I see here...

(bold emphasis mine) The excerpt is from the summation of the review, but the rest of the article is a good introduction to this operating system, with a great illustrated step by step guide to installing it on your hard drive, showing you just what you will see and experience if you want to try it.

I've installed it on my hard drive, and I'm finding PCLOS a delight to use, it's the first linux I've been able to use every day, without missing Windows. If you feel at all inclined, check it out.

Note also, that even if you aren't looking for a Windows replacement, a live CD like this one can often be used to rescue your files from your hard drive, if Windows should crash and you can't get it started again. The Live CD runs entirely off your CD drive and RAM memory, providing you with a complete operating system that allows you to access files on your hard drive and save them, if they are still there and intact. It's a handy thing to have for emergencies.


Related link:

25th Anniversary of the IBM PC; it's been a long and winding road...
     

No comments: