Everything that Is Wrong with Public Sector Unions in Thirty Seconds
This thirty second video will show you everything that is wrong with public sector unions. [...]
[...] The video above shows a representative of the United Healthcare Workers from a budget hearing in California in 2009. She makes it clear that the union got ‘democrats’ elected and that they [the union] ‘have long memories’ should the members deign to not support the union demands. If the officials support needed measures to cut spending, the representative will unleash her members to campaign against their reelection. And her threats are all legally sanctioned. And they are paid for by us.
This is the central problem with public sector unions. They get to use taxpayer money to elect their bosses and they get to use taxpayer money to convince their bosses to give them more taxpayer money.
Let’s recap where we are:
* We’ve allowed labor unions to become monopoly personnel providers for many state and local governments
* We force employees to make weekly payments to union leaders
* The union leaders use these payments to hire lobbyists to agitate for more government spending
* The union leaders use these payments to spend millions on campaigns to elect politicians
* The union leaders then negotiate with these politicians to set pay, benefits and work rules for their members
* The politicians know that if they cross the union leaders, their reelection plans are more complicated
* We fund the whole thing
If we can’t break this corrupt cycle, no other policy decisions we make will matter. Yes, it is that important.
The whole article is worth reading, for the "how" and "why" of it. How government employee unions went from being reasonable and fair, to being the exploiting extortionists they are today. It's why even FDR believed in limits on Public Employee unions.
The way it is now, it's legally sanctioned extortion. It must end, and the taxpayers must be the ones to insist that it does. The unions will still exist, and they won't be powerless. But they will have limits on their GREED and THUGGERY. It's time for them to have a reality check and join the rest of us.