Friday, February 02, 2007

Are sales of Windows new Vista operating system driven by hardware manufacturers?

I've been playing with the latest test release of PCLinuxOS. It has some neat desktop wallpaper pics, three of which I am posting here:


I thought this was a funny joke. In fairness to Microsoft, I realize they are such a target for viruses and such because they are the dominant operating system. If Mac and Linux had larger user bases, they would be larger targets, too. Yet I think it's also true that the Linux community fixes their security holes much more quickly than Microsoft does.

Linux Magazine has just published an interesting article:

Why Windows Wins
An excerpt:
[...] What fascinates me most about the Vista launch is the limited number of computers in the world that are capable of running the software today. How many companies can spend $6 billion on a product that can only be deployed on an estimated 15% of the world’s computers? It’s like building one billion cars and there being only 5 roads to drive them on. It’s seems a bit reckless in one sense. But it’s also rather brilliant.

Windows Vista isn’t so much a new operating system as it is demand generation for new hardware. It’s a strategy that ultimately will prove successful because it enlists the support of everyone selling hardware. [...]

(bold emphasis mine) The author, Bryan Richard, goes on to show how Microsoft's success has actually limited its ability to make radical changes, and how and why it's biggest market for growth now lies with hardware vendors.

It's a short article, and I found it an eye opener. In that context, Mircosoft's strategy makes good sense. Still, I won't be trying Vista any time too soon. XP is fine, and I'll be sticking with it untill I've made a complete transition to Linux. The latest hardware is great, but I like to make my hardware last a long time. Linux lets me keep using what I have.

DesktopLinux.com is featuring a series of articles that compare Vista with Linux:

A Vista vs. Linux matchup -- Part 1: Leveling the Playing Field

It has three parts total so far, and makes a detailed comparison. If you are looking for an alternative to costly Microsoft upgrades, you may want to check it out.


This next desktop wallpaper picture features the little saber-tooth squirrel from the animated movie "Ice Age":


He is standing on top a cube with a "K" on it. The "K" is the logo used for the popular K Desktop Environment (KDE), a Windows-like Graphical User Interface for Linux, BSD, and other Unix based operating systems.


This third wallpaper I included just because it's so beautiful:


This is a photo of the Jiuzhaigou valley in Sichuan province, central-western China. I find it's beauty stunning. It also reminds me a lot of home, here in Oregon. :-)
     

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt wasn't impressed with Vista. He has a couple of posts there.

Anonymous said...

The Jiuzhaigou Valley wall paper is beautiful.

Fits said...

Its all Greek to me but thanks for the links. I almost learned something. I think.