Saturday, March 06, 2010

Youtube, Youth, and "Communist Roll'd"

In a previous post I lamented that the quality of the content of the most commonly watched "video of the day" on Youtube was kinda lame. Well, I figure, that's because the majority of people who are watching them are quite young. Today's popular video is a prime example:



This guy's videos are often among the "most viewed". He does snarky commentary on various video clips that people call his attention to. At first I scoffed at them as a boring waste of time; not very funny to me. But after watching a few, I can see he appeals to the younger crowd's sense of humor.

Sometimes even I find some of it funny. This particular "episode" has a segment at the end, where he makes fun of a rather scary looking Russian singer from the '70's. It took me back to when I lived in San Francisco.

There was a cable channel that catered to San Francisco's Russian Emigre community. The first time I saw it, there was a musical show on, that was so awful, I thought it was a parody. But it wasn't! I was horrified that anyone would actually sit and watch it as real musical entertainment. Over the years I would continue to see it occasionally while channel jumping, and it was a lot like the show in the video. In fact, I have to wonder if I've seen that "singer" before, he seems very familiar.

Yikes! I know I like to make fun of the new trends nowadays, calling them part of the "Brave New World". But the younger folks can also look back and find plenty of things to make fun of too. It works both ways.
     

No comments: