Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Windows 7: what you can expect

Here is a favorable review, from a reviewer who hated Windows Vista:

Windows 7 Review: Why I Like Windows 7
After nearly eight-years, Windows XP had grown as comfortable as an old car. Just as I’d forgotten about the growing number of dings on my car’s bumper, I’d forgotten how many third-party tools I’d used to prop up Windows XP. After adding CD and DVD burners, search programs, Firefox, three media players and a host of other tools, my Start menu’s three columns reached the far edge of my desktop.

That’s why running Windows 7 for the past seven months brought back the excitement of driving a new car. And for the first time, my once trusted Windows XP began looking like a car that needed much more than a paint job.

It’s partially my own fault. Like many others, I skipped Windows Vista. And Vista, for all its faults, provided a strong, secure base. Unfortunately, Microsoft ruined Vista’s improvements by adding overly aggressive security, thick layers of meandering menus, and a sense of being designed by a huge committee.

Windows 7 strips away that ugliness to create something that’s light yet strong, useful yet still playful. Windows 7 grabs me in a lot of ways Windows XP no longer does:

[...]

How does he like Windows 7? Read as he counts the ways. He does list some annoyances at the end though, but overall, it seems favorable and looks promising. At the very least, a considerable improvement over Vista.

And for those who want something else altogether, the next Ubuntu release is looking very promising.


Also see:

Windows 7 to Usher in Profitless Prosperity
     

1 comment:

BSlim said...

Thanks for the in-depth review!

I got my first look at Windows 7 this week and my initial reaction was "so far, so good."

"So far" being the key phrase of that statement.

New operating systems are almost always an improvement, and will almost always generate some sort of enthusiasm or buzz within the first couple months.

But until the user sits down and gets a feel for what a new OS is all about (outside the VirtualBox), you're not going to understand the product's deficiencies ... or its notable improvements.

The reality being you need at least 4-6 months under your belt before you can conclude how successful an OS is for you. And that's the bottom line, how successful is this system to you and your work environment?

Here are my Top 7 reasons why Windows 7 could be a success ... and seven reasons it could be a failure:

Thanks again for the great review!

http://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/Windows_7/Windows-7-Review-Seven-Reasons-Windows-7-Could-be-a-Success-Failure.html