Thursday, April 05, 2007

Daisy, the silly, loveable Canadian Goose


Here is a link to a video about a Goose called Daisy. I got a copy of this video in my email, and I found a link to it from it's source: Daisy the Goose

A description by Ken Speake, who did the video for KARE 11, Minnesota:

I heard a story about a goose that was friends with a dog, and both seemed to think they were human.

I heard that the goose flew in formation with a guy's boat, and when it was tired, rode on the boat, right next to the dog.

I don't think I'd ever heard anything more unlikely... a goose, friends with a dog... weird!

But intriguing.

I figured we'd go do the story. [...]

Click on the video link on the page to see the video (It has a short commercial at the begining, then the video, which is just over 2 minutes long.)

I've often said that keeping fowls is like owning your own Jurassic Park; they're a bit like small dinosaurs with feathers. I've come to understand what people mean by the term "bird brain". They have their own logic, their own way of understanding things, which isn't always smart by human understanding.

They do have an emotional nature of sorts, too. It seems to be a little more highly evolved in ducks than chickens. And in geese, it may be even more advanced still, from what I've read. They also do that imprinting thing, more so than ducks. This video is a good example of what I'm talking about.

Ducks aren't especially cuddly or even particularly friendly, but it's funny how they can pull your heartstrings. I think I would like to own geese one day, but I'm not ready to rush into it, as it's a big commitment; they have long life spans, and could even outlive me. Yikes! And because they imprint on you when you raise them from little goslings, I don't think it would be easy to just get rid of them (or eat them!) if for some reason you couldn't keep them.
     

No comments: